Sunday, April 6, 2014

Message: Enjoy YOUR Hair Journey

Being on hair journey can be quite the rollercoaster. From trying to figure out what techniques and products work best for you hair to wondering if you should get that next relaxer or go natural. Yes, social media can be a big help but it can also be a bit of a distraction. You have one blog telling you that heat is the absolute devil for your hair and another telling you that there is nothing wrong with using heat. You have one person telling you that you should stop relaxing your hair and being natural is the best way to go and someone showing you that when used responsibly that relaxing and having healthy hair can be achieved. There are so many conflicting views and they can cause confusion especially when if you are just starting your journey. My advice would be to enjoy your hair. Do what you feel is best for your hair. All the information that is floating around are just GUIDELINES. There is no natural hair rule book. There is not relaxed hair rule book. Just guidelines. Don't let the views of others deter you from what it is you want to achieve with your hair. If you want to relax, do it! You want to go natural, do it! You want to wear your natural hair straight majority of the time, do it! You want to wear that afro, go for it! You want to transition for 2 years, do it! Make sure you are doing it for you because if you are not, you will not be happy with your decisions.

What I love about our hair is the versatility. We have options. Natural, relaxed, locs, weaves, wigs, braids, etc. We can do it all! Why keep each other in boxes. Do you and be happy. Enjoy your hair and enjoy the journey. I use to set a time frame for how long I would go without using heat in my hair. Not anymore. If like getting my hair straightened. I'm going to do it. Why? Because I can and I don't need anyone else's approval. Don't look for that approval or validation from anyone but yourself.






5 comments:

  1. #Woop! You betta get it! Everyone thinks that they know best---and they do. They know that's best for their OWN hair. At the end of the day the only person who's gotta love your hair is you. So do whatever you want to it! Your message is so timely chica! Thanks for sharing!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP! I felt like I had to get that off my chest. People can be so negative when it comes to this hair journey stuff. It can be very discouraging.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you! you could not have said it better! At the start of my hair journey I was trying to mimick every single persons regimen and challenges and the lot! completely sidelining my own hair and really following someone elses hair routine! As soon as I snap out of it, my hair has improved so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always best to follow your hair's lead and not the other way around.

      Delete
  3. What's important is that you feel good about your own hair, don't mind all those who judge and discourage. It's your hair journey. Regardless of mantras and regimens, what works for other people might not work for you because we all have different kinds of hair. I love this post because it speaks from the heart. I used to be so conscious with my hair, but I decided to just keep my hair and my scalp happy and that made me very happy. Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete